Monday, September 29, 2008

Sunday 21st September 2008

I wobbled very uncertainly down Windsor Park and onto the Lisburn Road as the full horror dawned on me of what two fully laden aluminium panniers, a huge bag of camping gear and a long range fuel tank do to the handling of a tall trail bike on knobbly tyres.
‘At least I’ll have an empty road to get used to this’ – wrong! Co Tyrone were playing in the final and the road to Dublin was a seething mass of flag flying vehicles guided by cheerfully excited country folk who presumably hadn’t been on a road without grass in the middle since the last time Tyrone were in the final. This automotive mayhem concentrated my mind wonderfully and improved my riding enormously. Within a mere fifty miles I was down to random oscillations of about half a lane width at a time. The Tyrone fans probably didn’t even notice.
Having safely reached Dublin I think that I managed to get through an important seminar without obviously snoring or being too offensive to anyone although the lack of sleep was starting to kick in so I can’t be sure.
In line with my rigid rule about not riding in the dark on this trip I left plenty of time and set my target as the first fast ferry out of Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead on Monday morning to give me a chance to cover some safe, daylight miles in Wales.

No comments: