Sunday, November 09, 2008

Tuesday 4th November 2008

Sea calm, excellent (though overpriced) breakfast, table of bike travellers to talk crap with – perfection.
By the time we got to Plymouth we were all riding gods, we had plans in place to conquer the few remaining parts of the globe that hadn’t already benefited from our presence and, if memory serves me correctly, we had solved world poverty. Then I went down to the vehicle deck and found that my oil container had leaked all over my rear tyre. The chemical additives in the oil had melted the paint off the deck and the rubber of the tyre had thus turned blue. A complete kitchen roll and a pack of industrial wipes later (really appreciated guys but you do need to attend a packing seminar) I still had the greasiest rear tyre on the planet. You don’t often see a riding god on his knees beside his bike whimpering quietly into his comfort blanket.
I had considered riding to Bristol even though it would have meant breaking my ‘no riding in the dark’ but in the circumstances I was more than happy to pull in to the Dartmoor Lodge. I assumed that I would be in for a solitary evening but two guys staying there on business were keen bikers and one of them was even a Ted Simon fan.

No comments: