Thursday, October 02, 2008

Friday 26th / Saturday 27th September 2008

Worked in the morning and early afternoon (bit of a double-edged sword the internet) then set off to Touratech’s premises. Touratech are a company who supply just about every gadget you could possibly need to go round the world on a motorbike – especially if it’s a BMW and you’re a film star. I’m on a scruffy Yamaha so I just went to try to scrounge some coffee (result! thanks Kyle), buy steel wires to hold my pannier lids on when I forget to lock them, and try to identify the bike travellers among the poseurs and celebrities. Actually I had a great time, got some really useful advice and met lots of real travellers. I also met two undercover celebrities. They were calling themselves Mark and Al but they didn’t fool me for long – I know Fat Freddie and his mate from the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers when I see them. Anyone else remember the FFF Bros? Most of the crowd from the Horizons Unlimited Bristol meeting seemed to be there which seemed appropriate as they had given me the final impetus to get this trip under way. Cliff from HU decided that my bike was exactly what he need for his trip and started negotiations to buy it when I get back. Cliff, I know you were only trying to get the price down but did you have to saw through the rack mount at this stage? A bit of sabotage after the trip I could have coped with.
I eventually decided the rack would survive until I could get to my mate’s place in Basingstoke where we could drink wine and talk crap about it. I suspect that the rack had broken since shortly after I left home but obviously it only affected the bike’s performance, roadholding, braking, lighting and susceptibility to crosswinds once I knew about it. That’ll be a slow and exhausting trip along the M4 then with the load being repacked at every service area.

No comments: