Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Monday 6th October 2008

After a civilized breakfast of croissants at my table it was then on to Foix, which looked really different from last time I had been there when everywhere was decorated in readiness for the arrival of the Tour de France. It was still nice to stop there, just not as glamorous. I had to work for the afternoon so got my ‘eee pc’ connected up in ‘Cyberland’ near the chateau for some tiny amount of money. Note to fellow bike travellers, motorbikes park free in the car park in the town centre.
Breaking my unbreakable rule yet again, I rode on deliberately through dusk because I wanted to see ‘la cite’ in Carcasonne lit up at night. I know that the energy usage is environmentally indefensible and my desire to see it is a bit sad but the most spectacular of the Cathar cities does look its best at night. I would never accuse the French of ‘restoration by breeze block’ but up close, in daylight, it’s still lovely but some things look just a little too perfect. With hindsight, the view over the plain from the sweeping bends down from Fanjeux was probably even better as the sky started to turn pink but, hey, I saw both.
Realisation then dawned on me (can you say that at dark?) that it was very late and I had not a clue where I was going to stay so I bolted happily to a soulless F1 chain hotel.

No comments: