Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Saturday 4th October 2008

Raring to go but not wanting to spend much time on the bike, I headed into Mourenx to find an internet café. Silly of me: that would be much too interesting for Mourenx, so I went over to the dark side and used the free wifi in McDonalds.
As an antidote to the Mourenx McDonalds, I rode to Navarenx for the afternoon. Navarenx is an impressive fortified town with its walls and arsenal still pretty much intact and is worth a walk round out of the tourist season. Yes, that’s right, I walked. Horrified intake of breath from the dedicated bikers who have to be carried from the bike to the bar in case they scuff their Rossi Replica boots in a non knee-down manner. I can report that my new Altberg dual purpose boots with their recommended smartwool socks are the best bits of kit I’ve brought with me and, no, I don’t mind looking like a relic from the great war if my feet are comfortable.
There were mysterious references to the alchemist in Navarenx but the exhibition was closed – anybody know anything about it? Just don’t tell me if it was some sort of tourist nonsense.

No comments: