Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Tuesday 7th October 2008

Having happily eaten my soulless F1 breakfast, I then actually concentrated on getting somewhere on time. I only allowed myself a quick stop beside the Canal du Midi to eat a sandwich and check my phone which had a very puzzling and ever so slightly stroppy text message – ‘can’t find restaurant and can’t get through on your phone’.
Last week a friend had sent me an email suggesting we have lunch on the Lisburn Road in Belfast and that I could choose the restaurant. I replied ‘how about Morocco’ and sent her a link to this travel blog. Unfortunately I must have been a little too obscure and the poor soul had charged up and down Belfast’s most restaurant-laden thoroughfare accosting passing strangers and insisting that they must have heard of this wonderful new eatery, ‘Morocco’.
My turn now for a difficult experience as I somehow managed to book a ticket for bike and self on a ferry to Morocco – all conducted in French. Two top tips: Carte Gris is French for V5; and don’t wear your waterproof trousers while dealing with French bureaucracy. It will take longer than you expect, you will have to run up and down hundreds of stairs for each new request for yet another document, your face will turn purple and eventually, steam will start to issue from the waistband of the aforementioned waterproof trousers. Not a good look.
Tomorrow, Africa (or at least, after a 36 hour ferry trip).

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Hi Drew, Passing on "Good Luck!" from Joe & Mairead.

Unknown said...

Hi Drew, Hope the ferry crossing is better than the Claire Island ferry.