Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Sunday 5th October 2008

Ready for a high mileage day, I left my non-hardcore accommodation with my clothes washed and batteries charged. Thanks to T7 Honda for organising the gratis accommodation, particularly generous as for this trip I’ve changed to a Yamaha!
After the first three miles of my high mileage day I stopped to leave the key from my accommodation with ex-pat Lorraine. So, tell me Lorraine, why would you not want to be living in Northern Ireland in October? Let’s have coffee in the sunshine and admire the view of the first winter snow on the Pyrenees? Ok, you might have a point there. Well, what about a high mileage late afternoon? No, that wasn’t going to happen either – I was now in coffee and Pyrenees mode. Shades on, sit at pavement table on the Boulevard des Pyrenees in Pau and sip a cup of coffee at nearly Lisburn Road prices.
Eventually I rode on east towards St Gaudens with great views of the snow capped Pyrenees to my right. Three fruitless chases after ‘camping ouvert’ signs later I was really pleased to find ‘village vacances’ really was still open, though only until the end of October. Madame complemented me on speaking very good French for someone from Belfast and supplied a table and chair beside my tent for me to have a civilized breakfast. Obviously fancied me – well, ok, I’ll accept pity.
I then made the mistake of having a late evening meal of ‘blanquette de veau’ because that was the only thing still on the menu in the village restaurant. I must try it somewhere else before giving up on it.

No comments: