Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sunday 12th October 2008

Fatigue had obviously set in yesterday as I had made a complete hash of setting the time on my phone. As a result I was at the door of the internet café two hours before it opened so I moved across to a little tea shop to sit and wait. My arrival yesterday must have been noticed by the locals as Abdullah stopped setting up his fruit stall to check that all was well with me. He then bought me some rather special mint tea and showed me how to pour it properly before returning to his stall. I spent most of the afternoon exploring Nador alone on foot before rejoining my Moroccan social circle which had now expanded to four. All communication was still in French but I actually found it easier to follow now that Asma had joined us as she had such a clear accent as she had lived in Paris until she was fifteen. We finished off the evening by educating me in how to use pieces of bread to eat chicken from a communal plate without the aid of cutlery and without covering myself and everyone near me with the sauce. It mostly worked.

No comments: